Hamilton Area Sports

For commentary on local sports from the Hamilton Square Area

My Photo
Name:
Location: H-Town, New Jersey, United States

Rather not

Monday, January 7, 2008

Phillies mangement just doesn't get it!

With every Phillies off season, I excitedly look at the trade rumors and hope that the Phillies bring in a huge acquisition and there was no difference in this year. With Pitching at the top of the Phillies wish list, I hoped that the philosophy of the cautious Phillies would sway into taking a huge gamble. Before Winter Meetings in December, the Phillies traded for closer Brad Lidge. This trade was unexpected for me and threw my brain into a frenzy of excitement. I thought to myself, maybe this year is going to be different, maybe this year they will take a risk. But months after this deal, the Phillies roster has one pitcher added, named Chad Durbin. In my opinion, with the money that they spent on this reliever/starter, the Phillies could have signed a better pitcher. Mark Prior, released during the time the Phillies were searching for a starting pitcher, could have been signed to a one year deal around the same price range as Durbin and has better big league credentials. Now I know many of you will say that he is injury prone and the Phillies don't sign them but think again. Jayson Werth and Chris Snelling are two examples of injury prone players that the Phillies have signed so this argument does not work. I simply feel that the Phillies are too picky as to who they take risks on and who they don't. My prediction is however, that Mark Prior will have a better year then Chad Durbin and the Phillies will have to rethink there scouting and management theories.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger GM-Carson said...

If you start a link section, I'd be willing to swap links with you.

We Should Be GM's @ http://pabaseball.blogspot.com

January 8, 2008 at 4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home